Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sound Cartagena talks Style and Background [Interview]

By The Hip Hop Writer
Hip Hop Vibe Staff Writer

Hip hop is forever evolving and Sound Cartagena is representing this change with his music. The rapper comes from hip hop's birthplace, New York City. Carrying the swagger of the empire city with him, Sound Cartagena is focused on changing the game.

Sound Cartagena was born in hip hop, so he has a natural love for the music. But, his style is different because his father often played Salsa music, which is in him. For over a decade, Sound Cartagena has been rapping and producing.

Outside of hip hop, Sound Cartagena is also a drummer for a rock band based in New York. He is from the melting pot and he represents the blending of the cultures in his lifestyle. Being exposed to so much has led Sound Cartagena to become the artist he is.

Read the interview between Sound Cartagena and Hip Hop Vibe below.

How long have you been rapping?
Almost all my life, I have been performing for as long as I can remember, true story.

How long have you been recording music?
My 1st recorded record was in 1989 Salsa Kid Group

Do you feel any pressure from being a New York rapper?
Not At ALL!

Are you doing anything to separate yourself from other Spanish rappers in the game?
Yes, I am representing who I am, a bi-lingual artist (Spanglish Rapper) and mixing my Salsa roots with todays hip hop.

Have you ever received any comparisons to Fat Joe?
All the time because we have the same last name. I never met my cousins and they all live in The Bronx. There is a strong possibility that we might be related. My grandfather's name is Don Domingo Cartagena and he still lives in the Bronx.

Are you currently signed to a label?
I've been signed before (MCA, Universal Writer Records, SimplyMusic etc.), but now I have my own label, CallejonMusic, that means: StreetMusic, and we are under Konvict Muzik/Bad Boy.

How long have you been working with Yung Gwap?
Gwap!? That is my dude! I think it's been about a year or so, maybe more. Shoutout to the G.M.B CashBoiz Denver, CO Nos FuiMOOO!!

Who else have you been working with?
I have worked with them all, Red Cafe Shakedown, Fabolous, Paul Cain and Don Dilly, StreetFam/SLK StuddaGang, Konvict Muzik, Akon, and T-Pain etc., D'Mingo Ramos and Manolo Guatauba University WhiteLion, Young Money Tour, T-Wayne Tour, oh man I can keep going and going.

When is your next mixtape coming out?
Well next mixtape is titled Today'z Salsa coming next month.

Do you plan to release an album soon?Right now, I'm working on my LIVE album with my new band, SPANGLISHCARTA Y SU ORQUESTA www.reverbnation.com/spanglishcarta.

Can you name some of the producers you have been working with?
EmpireState Reek & Sosa, DJ Pistolero, D'Mingo Ramos, ERK Trax-IT-Ryte, and that's just a few. I did music with almost all the best producers and musicians out here in NY.

What makes your movement different from other movements in hip hop?
There is no other movement like mine, I am Spanglish hip hop. I am bringing a new genre to the game mixing hip hop with what I call Sazon... CARTA!!!

What will make fans and critics accept you as one of the greatest of all-time when it is all said and done?
I'm being myself, I never imitated I always stood by what I do and who I am. Musically spiritually and lyrically ON IT!!!.. Carta! nos FuiMOOOO!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM  

Cartagena daddy is looking foward to talk to you.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP