Friday, July 16, 2010

On the Rise: Jo'Rias

By The Hip Hop Writer

Hip Hop Vibe Staff Writer

For those who thought hip hop was dead, they have recieved their rude awakening. Not only is hip hop still alive and kicking, it is expanding. The hip hop scene has been dominated by New York and Los Angeles since its inception.

In the last decade, Atlanta made strides and is now a major region of hip hop. Houston made a strong run in 2005, but it did not last. But, there is a new movement coming from Boston, Massachusetts. Outside of Benzino, there have not been many rappers to make it big from Boston. The latest Boston act, Jo'Rias, hopes to break this tradition. A lot more than an average rapper, Jo'Rias has adapted to become an artist, he raps and sings.

Recently, he gave a bit of his time to Hip Hop Vibe to tell his story.

Q. Where did the name Jo'Rias come from?

A. Well, Joe comes from my first name Joseph. Rias come from the term Ria which is where sea levels rise relative to the land. This is how I feel people react when they listen to my music. When I show Excitement, the people feel my emotion and so on.

Q. Growing up, what music shaped you into the artist you are now?

A. Old school Artists such as, Mos Def, Tupac, Reggae was a big influence, and a few artists that are in the game today, Ludacris and Jay-Z. Last but not least Michael Jackson was a huge influence within my household. Even Micheal Bolton! My mother played his album, 'The One Thing,' religiously!

Q. Which artist, or artists, are your favorite right now?

A. I am recently really into the J. Cole movement. Trey Songz & Raheem Devaughn on the R&B Side. Gym Class Heroes on the more pop side. I am also really into a band called The Used. my favorite song is the "Taste of Ink." they keep my head bobbing.

Q. If you had to choose out of any artist in any genre, generation, dead or alive, who would you work with?

A. Of Course The King of Pop! Michael Jackson. No question. He is so influential and selfless that he inspired me to be the same way. if there's anyone who has changed my thoughts and opened my eyes to how this world can be a better place, it would have to be Michael himself. Rest in Peace Michael.

Q. Who do you feel is the best rapper in the game in 2010?

A. Well the way I see it is not who is the BEST rapper but who stays relevant and keeps coming with lines to keep you stuck within their world. My answer would have to be Lil Wayne, because even though he is locked up he still keeps contact with his fans and new music is still coming out! His albums are top-selling. He is just Raw talent. Free Weezy.

Q.Ten years from now, where do you see yourself?

A. I see myself onstage performing for Millions of Fans. Traveling around the world and becoming a sponsor for my native country Haiti, God Bless the lost souls. I am on a mission to live life on the EDGE, Skydiving and Climbing mountains. The whole nine.

Q. Seeing that you are from Boston, how much did the vibe in New York City affect you?

A. The vibe has affected me in a lot of ways. Feels like when you touchdown in NY, it's a world within its own. It's a Big State and very busy. But yet it keeps me relevant with all the music and news that I need. The city that never sleeps is the best term for NY. Beautiful State.

Q. When do you plan to release an album or mixtape?

A. I plan to release my first mixtape by Late September. My website will cover all the details about it. So make sure you stay tuned. Talking to the people out there!

Q. When you become a major star, will you return for more interviews with Hip Hop Vibe?

A. Most Definitely.This is my first interview and I appreciate your interest in my Art and Talent. Check out the Jo'Rias Music Page at www.reverbnation.com/jorias. Also Follow me on Twitter @Jorias101 to stay updated on the movement! Search "Jo'Rias" on Facebook.com

Thank you Hip Hop Vibe for this oppurtunity and i'm looking forward to more.

Thank you Mom, My #1 inspiration, without you i would be lost. I Love you. I would also like to give a shoutout to my management team, 6 Legacy Management, We on the come up!! Shoutouts to BlakFace, collabing with them be on the lookout! And all my fans and soon to be fans. My Family! My Right Hand Nate, Fresshhh!! Thank you again, Peace and Love, Jo'Rias.

Jo'Rias - "I Gotta Feeling (remix)"

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP