Sunday, September 25, 2011

Randy McCoy talks Independent Hip Hop, Business, and the Fayetteville, NC hip hop scene

By The Hip Hop Writer
Hip Hop Vibe Staff Writer

Over the past few decades, hip hop has proven to be very profitable. There are too many rappers to name who have made millions in the game. However, many people have profited in the hip hop game without ever touching a microphone. Many people simply saw an opportunity to make it and they took it.

Randy McCoy is among these people. Based out of Fayetteville, North Carolina, the locals call him the “Diddy of the City.” McCoy has been making it for several years, as a successful manager and promoter for several local rappers. Aside from working hands on with the local talent, McCoy is also one of the biggest club promoters in the city.

A prime example of how to live the life without the life overtaking you, Randy McCoy is popular, but still able to move freely. When many dream of making it big in the entertainment game, they do not acknowledge the fact that they may end up with no privacy.

Through a few mutual friends, Hip Hop Vibe was able to meet Randy McCoy and things have been going strong ever since. With Hip Hop Vibe finally launching the magazine, it was a no-brainer to include Randy McCoy in the independent spotlight. McCoy gave us an exclusive interview discussing his rise and his future projects.

Read the entire interview below:

How long have you been involved in the entertainment business?
I have been in the business for about seven years, now.

Did you move to Fayetteville, NC, or did you grow up here?
Yeah, I was born and bred right here in the Ville, as we call it.

Was the club scene something you always wanted to be a part of?
Really, I started the club scene so I could give my artists, as well as those around the city, a little exposure because then it wasn't many clubs showing too much love to the local artist, with the exception of the rap competitions. I feel like making them compete would separate them instead of putting them together, so I made it where they all could rock the show and feel like the winners they are, together!

Is Bottom 2 Da Top your primary business?
Yeah it is, because we cover a whole range of things besides music.

When you started Bottom 2 Da Top, did you envision it becoming as big as it has become?
Bottom 2 Da Top started as vision and, even though its well known out here, I know the potential of me and my team. My expectations are a lot higher.

Would you consider yourself one of the top party promoters in the area?
There are a lot of go-getter promoters out now, but they know Don King do his thing.

How did you earn the nickname "Diddy of the city?"
It’s Don King P. Diddy Of The City and that is because I promote them like Don King and I’m in the video like Puff Daddy! During the time Diddy was putting the band together, I was working on my team...Take That!

Have you ever thought expanding into other cities in the area?
Yeah, look out for Jew Boy from Lumberton, NC. really I have been working with a few artists that are not from the Fayetteville area. I look for good music, I could be the Diddy of any city!

Do you consider yourself a manager or a promoter?
I would have to say both.

What is the difference, if any, between the two?
I manage my artists and promote them the same way, so it’s really not a difference to me.

How many artists do you have?
I’m currently working with five artists now.

Out of all the artists you work with, which one has the biggest buzz?
All of my artists have a buzz, so it’s hard to say. Young Tweazy has had newspaper article printed about his album, Life Of a Youngin, (P.B.M.) Hood Tha Mayor has several mixtapes out, but Shig Shaun The Legend has songs with a couple national recording artists, including Blood Raw and Freeway, formerly of Roc-A-Fella Records. All of them are really doing their thing.

Has working in the entertainment business kept you afloat during these harsh economic times?
I have been blessed, I know in these times, it’s hard for everybody, no matter what you do, but all in all, God has made a way for Bottom 2 Da Top Ent.

How do you feel about your competitors?
I don't look at the competition, I like to stay in my own lane. I wish everybody the best.

What advice would you offer to those trying to follow in your footsteps?
I would tell the next Diddy to stay focused on the dream. Do not quit, regardless of what comes their way, because it could get rough and not everyone has your best interest in mind, so get a team that’s loyal and see what you see, just go for it! Do not put a time limit on yourself, when its your time its your time!

How did you get to where you are currently?
First, God gave me the strength and determination to keep on going, even when it didn’t seem possible. Networking, it pays to know people and being humble, that’s a must.

Looking back on your rise, how do you feel?
I feel real good about it. It’s been lots of hard work, sweat, and all that. In the long run, it’s worth it, just have to keep pushing. I would tell anybody, Bottom 2 Da Top is not just a name, it’s a lifestyle, so see y’all at the top BABY!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP